Thursday, September 16, 2010

09/16/10: Thousand Word Thursday

This week's topic is:

"Your favorite piece of jewelry. (And if you are like me, you can post more than one.) And why it's your favorite!"
 
So...I have two.  They are both rings. 
 
One is my college alma mater's "class ring".  I say "class ring" as it is the same design that's been used since 1899 and the only thing that is different about each ring is the year of graduation, which is in the crest, and the name inscribed, which is inside the band.  I have been all over the world and no matter where I am, where I've been, how far away from Texas I am...another Aggie can spot the glittering gold from across the room and it's an automatic beckoning to begin conversation.  This ring has made me friends (and enemies, ask any Longhorn), has gotten me jobs, has made me the butt of jokes, and has even made some people green with envy.  Through it all, the ring reminds me of how far I've come as a person.  Who I was before A&M, who I was while I was at A&M and who I am now.  To me, it's a representation of the journey of my life.  Add to it all, my mom bought it for me as a graduation gift.
 
The other, the way-oh-so-much-more important, is my wedding set.    My husband is my everything, my best friend, my greatest ally, my favorite person, my greatest supporter, the one person on this planet who finds it necessary and easy to love me - the one person on this planet that I feel exactly the same way about.  The rings on my finger remind me, also, of where we've been and where we think we are going.  No matter where we are going or how we get there, being together has made me a gazillion times better than I ever could have imagined.  Our journey together, so far, has been far more than I ever could have imagined possible with the best best friend and the most loving husband ever!
 
My rings never leave my fingers.  The rings I wear every day are my absolute favorite pieces.

I also have a large solitary black pearl that I bought in Moorea (French Polynesia).  It is real, not cultured, it is gorgeous, it is beautiful.  It is also incredibly nerve wracking to wear.

So today is Thursday.  If you'd asked me yesterday, I'd have said I was looking forward to it.  But...eh.  I seem to found myself a cold and all I can say is ugh.  It occurred to me this morning that this is the first cold I am experiencing with the band and it's true what they say, the drainage really changes the band.  I have been filling up fast when I attempt to eat.  Not getting stuck...but I'm full on less than half of my normal banded-size meal.  That's crazy.  It reminds me of post surgery, actually, when I was easing back onto food.  I could eat a meal and I'd serve up my four ounces and take a bite and wait to see what was going on.  And usually half way through eating my plate of little bites that got chewed a lot I'd get the full signal...even though two ounces still remained on my plate.  That's what I'm experiencing today.  Was not aware that was the case as I ate lunch...so...um...but...tomorrow...I may very well take better advantage of this!

In other news, sadly, my uncle, the one that gave me away at my wedding, was diagnosed with lung cancer.  They did a biopsy/surgery today - biopsy to see what was what and surgery to possibly do a lung resection if that looked like a good possibility.  And it wasn't.  So, as my aunt is saying, "plan B is in effect" which is essentially to make him comfortable.  Heart breaking.  Absolutely heart braking.  We are still waiting on more news but my aunt is getting him settled in at home after the surgery that he did undergo.

Not much else going on with me.  Ready for a weekend, that's for sure!

I hope everyone had a better Thursday than I did.

5 comments:

  1. So sorry about your uncle. I'll be praying for comfort for him and peace for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thing the college ring is very cool. Both my brothers went to a private high school and if they run into someone from the same school or a rival school, it always makes for a good conversation. That's a bummer about your cold and I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the description of your rings and your feelings. I'm so sorry about your Uncle. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your Uncle. And your cold, for that matter. Hopefully things will be looking up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're an Aggie? Well I'll be.... Our families are split between Aggies/UT and then my DD went to Tech. I love the rich tradition of A&M. Easy to see why that is a beloved piece. I'm sorry to read about your Uncle.

    ReplyDelete