Tuesday was surprisingly easy. I went on a small easy walk around my lake at one point - one time around is a third of a mile and it was nice to be out and moving. I think a nap was taken and, in general, I thought I was doing very well. But then tues night/weds morning came. And I couldn't sleep a bit. I could not get comfortable for the life of me. I ended up just getting up at 4am and wandering the house for about an hour trying to feel better. Eventually I sat down at my laptop and updated my before and during photos on the side bar. So that slide show now includes the pictures from the night before surgery. I did read a few blogs but not many.
Yesterday just seemed brutal. If I took the Lortab then I felt like crap because of that. If I didn't take the Lortab then I felt like a different kind of crap because of that. And last night was just as bad as the night before. I didn't get any sleep. I think I got about two hours total with the little catnaps I did catch. I got up this morning around 6 and wandered the house for two hours and then settled on the couch for a little while. I felt like I was exhausted enough that I could sleep so I went back to bed and did fall asleep just to have the UPS guy ring the doorbell half an hour later.
So I'm not getting any sleep. If I were, I think I'd be feeling a lot better overall. But I'm exhausted.
In other news, I am learning what restriction fills like. They gave me a copy of the fluoroscopy image and I literally have a straw hole opening. And if I drink anything too fast I feel it sit there before it gurgles down. Still doing liquids like I'm supposed to but I'm getting in about half the amounts that I was getting with the pre-op diet. I am definitely struggling to get water in but I'm trying. Since Monday I am down 6 pounds. I need to update my ticker. 4 of that is what I figure came about from swelling and whatnot. And I'm still swollen, too, so who knows when this will actually just be weightloss. All I know is I am seeing a number now that I have not seen before in this process.
I am staying away from the Lortab now, just taking liquid tylenol which is working just fine. The dry mouth I was getting from the Lortab was awful!
I know I was expecting to feel better by now - but I know not getting any sleep the last two nights is my biggest problem. And hopefully tonight breaks that pattern. I can't imagine how people go back to work within 3 days. I don't care if it's a desk job or not, there's enough going on with my body that work could not happen right now.
I feel the gas still sitting around my sternum, on occasion. When it starts to feel like it's pushing up, like it wants to move, I get up and walk around and then the whole sensation passes. I have not had the feeling of the gas in my shoulder at this point and the sensation of it sitting around my sternum is getting to be less and less frequent. I know that no amount of gas-x is giving relief from my wonderful farts and burps any longer, though, so I'm taking that to mean it's passing.
Other than that I am hanging in there. I am in good spirits and I feel great about what I've done. Right now I just want some sleep! :)
I hope everyone is having a good week! I'll catch up soon, I promise!!




This post brought back memories for me. UGH.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can get some rest soon. At least all the suffering brought about the 6 lb. loss.
Be SURE and sip sip sip at that water. We don't want you getting dehydrated.
Take Care of yourself!!
HUGS,
Jen
A belated Congratulations!!!!! I know it sucks at this point. Keep taking the Lortab, its better than the alternative. And I always tell everyone to get one of those velour-like heating pads (at Rite-Aid or whatever) and use it on your chest, tummy, back, or wherever it hurts.
ReplyDeleteFeel better!
XOXOXOXo Gen
Hope you get some sleep! rest up, over the next few days you will start feel more like yourself xo
ReplyDeleteGlad you checked in!! Keep up with the tylenol and hopefully that will be enough. Can you take a tylenol PM? Or some kind of other sleep aid?
ReplyDeleteI hope you feel better soon! I'm so glad to hear from you I was getting worried. I hope you get some good sleep tonight, that will make things much better. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteso glad that you checked in with us. glad to hear that you're feeling good and slowly getting back to yourself. keep moving and stay on top of your pain. keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad I had ambien for post-op, it helped me sleep which I swear helped me heal better. Maybe a little tylenol PM tonight?
ReplyDeleteAfter my surgery I stayed two nights in the hospital and on the second night I couldn't get comfortable enough to fall asleep. I told the nurse and she brought me something that knocked me right out. I probably shouldn't admit this, but after I left the hospital I took Tylenol PM for a few nights while I was still uncomfortable. I split them in half and had no issue getting them down. Maybe some nighttime cold meds would knock you out if you want to do liquids.
ReplyDeleteHope you feel better soon. I know it sucks when you can't sleep. I switched to plain Tylenol and aspirin. They went down ok as pills but if you need liquid you can try the stuff for kids or crush them. I also had 4 weeks off work and also wondered how people went back after a few days.
ReplyDeleteI hope that getting off the Lortab will help you get some sleep. It really messes with me that way too. Otherwise it seems like you are doing well. I was lucky and didn't really have the gas pains. Thank you for the card! That was very thoughtful of you. Saw your pics and I am so glad you are able to use the clothes. Before long, they will be too big!
ReplyDeleteI am glad to hear about the 6lb loss. Who cares where it came from it is 6lbs! Good luck on the recovery and I agree get some sleep no matter what the way!
ReplyDeleteI just caught up with your recent posts, good stuff. Congratulations on all of your successes. It is really making me reconsider my hopes of being back at work the Monday following my Wednesday surgery. I suppose whatever will be, will be.
ReplyDelete