Love you, Drazil!
The hole in my favorite sweater….
We’ve all heard the old cliché….time heals everything. Blech. When you’re in the middle of heart gripping pain and someone says those words to you – you want to crunch them up like a piece of paper and shove them down that person’s throat and light them on fire and watch. Well okay – a bit extreme – but still. You know what I mean. And yet in your heart you know – the person saying it is hurting too – and they have no idea what the hell to say so they say things over and over like….time heals everything.
And though I hate to admit it…this stupid cliché is true. It has been for me anyway. I’ve seen pain. Enough to last a lifetime. Death of people who have lived long lives until cancer took their very soul. Death of people just 22 who died by their own hand because I couldn’t stop them. Death of infants – perfect babies with 10 fingers and toes, born and dead within two weeks. Death of a baby not even born…my own…I wanted so badly. Unexplicable pain and death. And today? I’ve healed from every one of those deaths. And I’ve healed from a million other painful things too.
Time indeed – heals everything. And when time is done with its job – that’s when I think the reasons walk right in. It’s like we roll out the welcome mat for reasons…after we’re through with the pain. And though we heal, our hearts remain torn forever.
It feels like there is a physical, literal hole in our heart and no time can ever fill it or heal it completely. It’s almost like a hole in your favorite sweater…and your heart is the sweater. When you first realize it…man it pisses you off. How did it get there? Why? Why this sweater? Why not someone else’s sweater? And as time goes on you realize – dammit – hole or not – you’re keeping it. There are too many memories and good times and things wrapped up in that sweater and you can’t throw it out. It’s staying with you. So you keep wearing it. And some days you try to cover up the hole. You roll up the sleeve so no one can see it…yet you always know it’s there…hiding, making you angry or hurt – just below the cuff. It taints a special thing of yours and you hate that.
There are other days when you wear it proudly. Someone compliments your sweater and you make a point to say, “Look! It has a hole in it. And it’s still beautiful.” You go on to tell how the hole happened. How it made you feel. How it made you love your sweater even more. How you’ll never get rid of the sweater because it represents so much. And even though the hole is hard to look at it – the good that the sweater has brought you outweighs the bad in that hole a thousand fold.
That hole in your sweater – that’s the pain we suffer and again, the sweater is your heart. Over time there’s going to be more holes – some tiny, some large…but the beauty in the heart remains. You have to keep wearing the sweater…you have to keep risking your heart. Patches can be sewed on holes after all. You just have to learn how to sew.
I believe pain teaches us to feel joy. I believe without ever experiencing real pain and loss…we’d never know how to feel pure joy. We’d miss the significance behind things. And I believe many of us believe that when we experience pain – no one else can possibly feel what we feel. No one else knows the right thing to say. They say stupid things like “time heals everything” right? Wrong. It’s not stupid. People usually say that because they are coming from a place of knowing. If you can – try to listen. Hear what’s behind the cliché. Realize YOUR pain teaches that person something too.
When Lori miscarried recently – though I didn’t say to her out loud that time heals everything…..I said it in my head to her heart. And I know she heard me. She has the strength I haven’t seen a lot in my lifetime and though I know she’s been in pain – at the same time I know she’s completely alright.
Through her pain, one of the holes in my sweater got a little smaller once again. I miscarried once too. In that moment you lose a baby – but you also lose hope, dreams, and a family – and it opens a hole you think will never close. But it does. And even I found a reason and Lori reminded me of that.
Last night thinking of what I wanted to write for Lori today….I sat in the chair in our living room. I looked over at the brightly lit Christmas tree we had just put up that afternoon. It was dark now and the whole room seemed to glow. And as my eyes went down the tree….there, under it, laid my 5 year old, Banana. Quiet. Just laying there. Under the tree on the hard floor – looking up – in awe at the colors and the glow and the beauty that is Christmas to a child. And I caught my breath in my throat.
Like a ton of bricks it hit me.
If we hadn’t have miscarried….there would be no Banana. We kept trying and had Banana BECAUSE we miscarried.
Would I take back the pain of the miscarriage if I had to give up Banana?
Well, I think you all know the answer to that. I’ll keep Banana. And I’ll keep the tiny hole in my favorite sweater that baby I never had represents.
So Lori….your little baby never born and the pain it caused you and your husband….well little did you know it taught another mother across the country the reason for her similar pain years ago.
And cemented the fact that indeed – time does heal everything. This is my wish for you too…..

Lori, I miscarried my first pregnancy at 20 weeks. It was devastating and felt so terribly unfair, but as Draz has stated so eloquently, the grief opens your heart for so much joy later on. I'm so terribly sorry and wish you nothing but good things in the future. Love, Camille
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful and so true! Love you Lori and Love you Draz!
ReplyDeleteMy heart hurts for you! I can't say I have experienced this particular situation, so I won't say I know what your going through, or that it will get better, just that my heart hurts for you, and I will keep you in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteThis is great. I got the lapband because of my own repeated unexplained miscarriages-- and even though I don't know you, Lori, I'm with you.
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine the pain you're going through Lori. :( I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and hope you know that Draz is right- time does heal all wounds and you will be okay. Praying for peace for you...xoxo- D
ReplyDeleteLove you Lori!
ReplyDeleteSoo sorry Lori---Love to you and your husband--and Draz!
ReplyDeleteHaving lost a pregnancy last summer, I know how you must be feeling, but there is a reason for everything, Lori. Know we love you and are sending you all our good baby karma!!
ReplyDeleteI have a little girl lost, but she is inside a body that doesn't work like she wants. A different struggle, a different kind of mourning. But, Drazil is right. I would never give back who we've become because of that unexpected loss and change in our direction.
ReplyDeleteI'd even fight you for it.
Isn't that a strange way to do things? Even so, it's the way it goes.
While discussing this very issue the other day my 19 year old daughter asked "does everyone have a miscarriage before they have a baby?" It made me think how common it is. And it made me realise I have many many friends with holey jumpers. I am so sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to you and your family.
ReplyDelete