Monday, May 14, 2012

05/14/2012: So I'm about as stupid as they get

Yep...title says it all.  It's true.  I admit it.  I guess my one area of strength is in recognizing just how dumb/stupid/idiotic I am.  What's sad, though, is that I rarely seem to be able to do anything with this knowledge of being so stupid.


So what's the stupid act of late, you ask?


It's really not much.  I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it's trifling and it's piddly and other than a few people like my blogosphere and a few friends and my hubby (so, entirely too many people)...most don't even know I did this stupid thing.  But here is...


I ranted and whined and railed and wailed about having my first mother's day hijacked.  Yep.  I did that.  And I was sooo wrong.


You hear me?


I was W.R.O.N.G.


Yep, I said it here.


How can it be wrong to spend my day with a family of women who love mothers?  They love their mothers, they love their sisters who are mothers, they love their daughters who are mothers, including their daugther-in-law mothers, they love their nieces and nephews' mothers...yep - if you're a mother, they probably love you!  This is a family that respects mothers as a common practice.  And I was whining and railing about spending the day with them?


I couldn't have been any more wrong!


Turned out, my SIL didn't choose Mother's Day as the day to baptize her daughter.  She had that put upon her by her church.  She didn't chose the 8:15am service to do so.  She had that put upon her, as well.  But, this family of people who adore mothers - they were also wise enough and mature enough to just go with it and recognize it for the beauty that it is/was.


And then there's stupid ol' me.


I got over it, though.  I told Hubby yesterday morning, and I meant it, that I'm pretty good about stopping myself from focusing on the negative and instead making myself find the beauty.  And yesterday  morning I found the beauty.  Hell, Saturday night I found the beauty.  But it just got better and better as yesterday went on.


My first Mother's Day could not have been more special!  We woke up to a mussing baby at 5:44.  We got both boys up and fed them.  Yeah...mussing, not fussing.  He was going to get fussy if we didn't tend soon, but he was just a little mussy at 5:44.  Anywho, the beautifuls ate and ate.  I had the one, Husby had the other.  The one started to fall asleep so I cuddled him up and laid back down and continued to feed him.  Husby followed suit with the other.  Soon enough the one and the other were done eating.  And the bottles got put down as we all continued to cuddle up.  


What better start to Mother's Day than a family all cuddled up?  This is about the third time this has ever happened and I tell you, it's perfect!  It's absolute perfection!


We got about another hour of sleep and then it was time to get up for church.  At that time, the boys were ready to get up, anyway.  We all got showered and dressed and ready to go and, surprisingly, we were out the door on time!  Which means we actually got to the church early.  This NEVER happens in our family.  EVER!


The boys had no interest in the service but they amazingly didn't decide that until after the baptism was over.  And this church had an amazing nursery with video feed and sound piped in.  Our own church does not.  Our own church - the pastor says "I can talk over a baby and I think it's important for the babies to be in the church with the congregation".  I understand his point.  But as a parent, I can't sit there with my babies fussing while the other parents/members around us look at us with that do something look.  And as a member I can't stand it when parents don't do something.


Once the service was over, we went out to breakfast with Husby's dad.  Then back to the house where the boys took naps and we packed up.  We'd stayed at his dad and step-mom's house Sat night and were leaving after the party at the SIL's house.


It was finally party time and we headed over to SIL's house where a whole family of women who love being family celebrated a day that is about being family!  I swear - what was there to resist?


I'm stupid!


I was in tears so many times, happy, joyful, gleeful tears as I watched my beautifuls get passed around from loving grandma to proud aunt to boastful cousin!  The boys loved loved loved the day!  And we left the party feeling so uplifted and embraced!


I'm stupid!  How could I have not wanted to do that?


I can only hope that the rest of my Mother's Days are so special!  If it's with them, I know it will be.  Now I can only hope that this can be my tradition!  It's exactly what I want!!!


I hope all you wonderful mothers out there had an amazing day yourselves!  Now have a happy week, please!!!

4 comments:

  1. You're NOT stupid; we've all been there. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... well, now I feel bad for calling the SIL a bitch. lol

    Sounds like a perfect mother's day to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries at all! I knew when you read this you'd see the beauty, too!

      Delete