- Do you know how much I hate defensive driving courses? So I'm taking this course as it has been written by the state of Texas. We are forced to take 12 minute breaks between sections. You can't take the quiz until the break is taken. You HAVE to answer the question in 30 seconds or you are marked "wrong" and you can only have 13 "wrong" answers in the quizzes. This isn't the final...it's the quizzes. And they are mostly designed to see if you are paying attention.
- Now here's my problem with that. I've ran into a few questions that were particularly LONG. (Like my blogs!) And it took 25 seconds just to read the danged things, let alone the answers. I'm usually a quick test taker, usually the first one done...but I need to feel like I can at least read the danged thing!
- I don't see a purpose in that.
- If you miss more than 13 questions in the quizzes...six quizzes total...you don't get to repeat the section you screwed up in. You have to take the whole danged course AGAIN!
- All for the minor fee of $25. Each time...
- And the content. It's trifling.
- A few months ago I took another defensive driving course just for insurance discount purposes. THAT seems so totally more relevant and better and applicable than this crap that the state of Texas has mandated.
- I KNOW to not drive if I'm tired because I might fall asleep at the wheel. Spending 30 minutes talking about it doesn't make me know it more...I already KNOW it!
- I KNOW to stop at stop signs and not roll through them. Spending 30 minutes talking about it doesn't make me know it more...I already KNOW it!
- I KNOW not to try to beat a train. Spending 30 minutes talking about it doesn't make me know it more...I already KNOW it!
- I KNOW that being an organ donor can make a difference. Spending 30 minutes talking about it doesn't make me know it more...I already KNOW it!
- I KNOW that distractions while driving make me a dangerous driver. Spending 30 minutes talking about it doesn't make me know it more...I already KNOW it!
- None of those things are why I got a speeding ticket. I got a speeding ticket because I was the only car on the road and I was going 41 in a 30. Roads in my city with identical situations - no businesses, no homes, no schools, no nothing other than connecting one thoroughfare to another - have 45 mph speed limits and seem realistic. I believe the road I was on is set up as a speed trap. But my city claims, right there on their website, that they are not trying to achieve quotas.
- I'm sure that's not why the cops were sitting in their hidden spots this morning TRYING to write as many tickets as possible.
Do you know how much I hate defensive driving courses?
- This is me doing my course last night. Don't I look like I'm having a blast?
- And...to think...I'm paying for this? The "privilege" to take the course. The course. All the certified mail. I even have to send in a certified copy of my driving record when all is done.
- And if I don't send it all in on time they will be happy to issue a warrant for me...and collect more money.
- I guess I should be glad that the city I live in has nothing else to do besides write arbitrary tickets and collect the easy money from that. The cops could be elsewhere...but they don't seem to have to be.
- Or do we have too many cops?
- Is there such a thing?
- Maybe I'll make this a weekly blog...random list thursday. Like it? Wanna do one?
- I've got a feeling....
- That tonight's gonna be a good night....
- That tonight's gonna be a good night...
- That tonight’s gonna be a good good night wooh hoo
- I just have that song in my head. I haven't heard it recently...but for about a week now...it's just playing over and over and over.
- I'm thinking of putting together a random facts about Texas blog. Either that or I might start including one tidbit at the end of each blog for a little while. I've read a number of random facts about X lately, Canada, Dubai, etc, and I saw Lynda say at some point that she thought she'd do one on the US. Maybe she has already and maybe she's still working on it...I'm catching up...so maybe I'll see it and maybe I won't...depends on if she's done it yet or not. But then it occurred to me that in addition to random facts about the US...random facts about the 50 very different and unique states could be fun, too. I've lived in four different states, California (21 years total), Illinois (1 year), Hawaii (3 years) and now Texas (will be 10 years on Aug 3rd), and each state has been different and unique while also bonded to the others with quite a number of things in common. I think, with just the blogs that I read, that we have a good sampling of quite a number of states...anyone wanna do their state?
- I think I'll do the whole blog idea. Will get it posted soon.
- Have a great Thursday, y'all!
Thursday, July 29, 2010
07/29/10: Random List Thursday
Still thinking in bullets...but instead of numbers, as in a list, it's really bullets today...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You crack me up! You should send a copy of that picture to the cop that gave you the ticket!
ReplyDelete