Friday, February 12, 2010

02/12/10: It's sticking

I woke up this morning and got on the scale, as I always do.  And it's there for the third day in a row.  That magical new number.  Two pounds lost.  Gone.  Poof.

Now, see...I wasn't trying to lose weight.  I really wasn't.  I've been eating, umm...well...not well.  Muffulattas and all the other snack foods from last Sunday and even fast food.  I've been...eating...heartily, too.  For me, anyway.

So I really wasn't trying to lose weight.  It just happened.  Gosh darnit - why can't it always just happen like this?  I wouldn't be here if it did.  But sometimes my body does this...and sometimes it does the exact opposite.  And so it's gone for the last ten years or so...gain when I want to lose...lose when I want to gain...maintain when I don't want to...can't maintain when I do want to.  Just odd, I tell you, odd!

So, anyway, I'm not really worried about having lost two pounds, for, what appears to be, good.  I'm really not.  I can't get mad about losing weight.  Afterall, it's what I want to do.  May not work so well with the insurance company, but I want this - and this is, afterall, about ME.  But I'm not worried about it because I can wear clothes to the next appt now.  You might have noticed a new countdown clock at the top of my blogspot.  That's how much longer I have to go.

This two pounds may just mean (may not, but it may, too) that I can continue to eat for the next two weeks and six days.  You see...I want to be down for the next appt...but I don't want to kill myself getting down.  I want to relax about it.  And two pounds gives me that.  If I gain it back - then great, I maintained.  If it stays off...well, if it's a cool day, I can wear clothes.  If it's a nice day, I can wear the same outfit I wore last week.  These two pounds give me options and flexibility.  I like options and flexibility.

To change topics a bit, my brain seems to have totally changed gears in the past week.  I said last week that when I left that appt, it just feels different going into this month.  And it really does.  I'm reading blog after blog after blog right now.  I've been doing that all along...but prior to last week I was scouring those blogs for people's experiences with this "unweightloss" program.  Now I'm scouring those blogs for pre-op stuff.  What can I start to do now?  How did people approach the waiting-for-the-answer-from-the-insurance-company period?  What else might I or will I need to buy?  The list is now formally being created.

I'm such a list person...but a list, to me, is also a finality.  I know what I have to do.  So my lists have stages.  Right now it's in my head.  When it's official...it will move to paper.  Odd.  That's me.

I do have a question I have never thought to ask my RNP, though.  How much time will I take off work for this?  I've been assuming it would be one week.  But I am seeing over and over and over in the blogs that many people take (sometimes by order, sometimes not) two weeks.  I've been telling my supervisor one.  I don't think he'll care much if it's two.  But I'd like to correct that sooner than later....

Speaking of work, time off, and my supervisor.  I wish there was a way I could convey to my insurance company that right now is the perfect time for me to 1) have the surgery and 2) have time off work.  We are busy, but we don't have any looming deadlines.  No one is gone for a class right now, no one is on vacation, no one is out...and while we are busy, it's also primarily busy work that we are doing.  Right this very minute would be so perfect.  In two months...it probably won't be.  Bummer.  But still, as much as the supervisor and I know this, we can only do what we can do - and he's not going to begrudge me time in two months if that's what it works out to...

I'm sorry for the ramblings today.  This isn't really about anything.  But, as is always the case with me, I just don't want to forget what I was thinking and feeling at this stage.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.  I plan to post a blog tomorrow of mostly pictures of me through time.  Back to the late teenage years (19) and onwards...with or without weight...traveling or at home...kind of a snapshot of LDswims, her weight, and her ever-changing hair lengths.

PS...just called the surgeon's office...and they say...3-4 days.  From what I read...that might be ridiculous.  I might just be asking the surgeon if he can make it 5.  We shall see what we see on that one, though...  Does anyone have any thoughts on that one?  Anyone have to do 3 days - and did it work out well or would you advise against it?  Anyone do 2 weeks and think it was too long?

6 comments:

  1. Weight loss is a crazy thing. I've also had times where the scale has shown a loss for no reason and then there are those times when I've worked really hard and gained. Over the long haul, it all seemed to work out, but doesn't it figure that when you REALLY don't want to lose weight you do?

    My surgeon told me that without complications I'd be back to work in a week. 3 to 4 days seems too short too me. I think 2 weeks is too long unless you have issues, which we all know you won't. :) Of course, this is just my thoughts from what I've read and my surgeon. It will be interesting to hear from those that have gone through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I am looking for followers on my blog looking for any and all support i can get.. YOu are doing awesome and sounds like surgery is coming quickly.. I am up in Canada and no insurance covers band surgery so I was a good old self pay so I did not have to go through any of those things... I think it would have made it tougher.. Keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading your blog. I'll see what I can do to help you get some followers.

    I hope it is coming quickly. I have wondered how Canada would cover that...

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, thanks for reading my blog. I am very happy to have found yours and look forward to following a fellow Texan's journey. I need to go back and read all of your posts and get caught up. Will do that this weekend. Hmmm, the pre op diet. My doc does the 2 weeks, and for the first 3-4 days you think you are going to die, but then the hunger kind of leaves and all is good. If I can do it anyone can. I honestly think they do that in an effort to jump start you weight loss as well as for surgery health. Just do whatever your doc suggests and you will be good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the pre-op diet isn't so bad for me. It will be two weeks but it will be protein drinks for breakfast and lunch with a dinner of lean meat and veggies. My two weeks vs. 3-4 days question was about how much time I'll end up being off work. I'd been assuming it would be a week off but I keep reading of people that had to take two weeks off. But I called and asked...and they say 3-4 days off. I guess that depends on what days...but it seems a bit fast to me. The lady I talked to said people have surgery on Friday so they can go back to work on Monday. Yeah...see...I actually WANT some time off. Something about healing and feeling alright...weird...I know...

    Anyway, thanks for joining. I hope you are enjoying your snow. I can't believe how cold this winter has been!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi LD!

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! I grew up in San Bernardino/Riverside area of Southern California. It is about mid way between LA and Palm Springs. I am now living in the Sacramento/Roseville/Rocklin area.

    As for your question about how much time to take off from work. It depends on what kind of work you do. If it is something that is physically demanding, then I would say at least a week if not two!

    If you have a sit down job, then a week would do fine probably. I felt my best between 7-10 days after Surgery myself. Until I screwed myself up thinking I could do more than I should have!!

    It's ok to be behind in reading blogs, especially blogs like mine that makes a lot of posts! I know what it is like to be behind in reading the blogs too!! I am really behind in reading everyone's blog right now, and it may be months before I can really take the time to get caught up.

    So it is really hit and miss if I manage to read a particular blog, and really rare if I can take the time to leave comments! I feel bad that I am not commenting, but I am trying to read as best I can, even if I don't always leave a comment!!! But I promise that I will get caught up eventually!

    I got in the habit of welcoming everyone from the very beginning, and I feel that if I stop, those in the future, that I don't welcome may feel slighted. So I really try to be aware of new Follower's and welcome them as soon as I can.

    However, sometimes it is hard to know who they are. As you know, sometimes you can't follow them to their blog. So when this happens, I try to see who they follow, and see if they left any comments in other blogs. If I can find a comment left by them, then I can find their blog about 99% of the time!

    ReplyDelete