Tuesday, April 13, 2010

04/13/10: Another day

So I have now been banded for a little over 24 hours.  I am still feeling a lot better than I thought I would but..I think they put some sort of numbing stuff around the largest incision (for the port).  And that numbing stuff made a world of difference yesterday.  That numbing stuff is starting to wear off so there is a discomfort with the actual incision that wasn't there yesterday.

I am also pretty gassy and I can't really tell if the gas-x is working.  I took a couple of the strips yesterday and one last night when I woke up around 3 and couldn't get back to sleep easily.  I also took more Lortab at that time.

Yesterday, I had my pain meds as soon as my Honeybunny walked in the door.  I took another dose a little over three hours later.  I took a third dose over four hours after that.  And finally, one last dose just before bedtime which was around 10:30 - which meant a gap in doses of a little over four hours again.  I woke up at 3 because I was trying to turn over and the pain was yelling at me to do something.  So I got up, took the Lortab and one strip of gas-x and got settled in bed just fine then.  I took my most recent dose around 8:30am, so a little over 5 hours before I needed it.  We'll see when I need it again.  I'd love to be done with it but will take it as long as I need to.

One of my favorite things I realized this morning, or maybe last night, was that I just lost 12 pounds in about 5 weeks without a band!   Now, true, that pre-op diet was brutal and I was on it for way too long.  I think my body got used to it and stopped responding very well to it.  I also know that I did a few no-no's too, especially after realizing why I was so freaked about no carbs.  And I will also say, I let myself have Easter Sunday to eat whatever I wanted.  We went to a Tex-Mex restaurant with friends of ours and I ate the tortilla chips and I also ate the tortillas that the fajitas were served with.  I also ate the baracho beans, too.  There were a few other no-no's while on that diet and it all worked out well anyway.  I am glad the surgeon was impressed although I know it could have been more.  I'm fine with that, though - this isn't a race.  And 12 pounds in 5 weeks is nothing to lose sleep over! 

I do know that the scales at this center are off.  The scale on the side of the center where I was going for my unweightloss visits and where I will go for my fills, matched my scale exactly at home.  The scale on the surgery side, though, I've been on that one twice and that one, both times was 4 pounds heavier than my scale at home.  So if we'd have used my weight at home instead of that incorrectly calibrated scale, I would have been 238.  Oh well.  Now, the numbers are for me.  I am no longer trying to prove anything to my insurance company and I am no longer playing my surgeon's game.  I won't be on this scale on the surgery side again, anyway.

But just think - what would my surgeon have thought if he'd seen the real number (to me anyway) and then that it meant 16 pounds lost?

Oh well.  Not bothered by it.  Just one of those I wish I'd had a hammer so I could have beat that scale and then we'd have had to go use the one on the clinic side.

Welp, I think it's time to go walk.  And then phone calls to make.  Our fresh mulch will be spread around the flowerbeds this week.  When I went to work in the backyard on Sunday my sweet hubby and I both found ant hills - a total of five of them.  Our pest control service also does ant hill treatments and I don't know if these five are just new (last time they were out to spray was about three weeks ago) or if they just were missed.  But someone will be out here on Thursday to knock them back. So I asked our gardeners to not lay the new mulch until after the ants are dealt with.  I'd hate to have the anthills hidden and then come back when things are settled with the mulch.

So the phone just rang and it was the bariatric center calling to check up on me.  That was sweet!  They wanted to make sure I could still pee and that I am getting enough water.  Wanted to make sure the incisions still look good and clean.  And that I felt ok.

I feel fine.  A little tenderness in the belly area, but that's to be expected.  I will be happy to stop taking the Lortab because it's giving me a raw throat.

I took a shower this morning, and that felt fantastic.  I also have been using my heating pad quite a lot to help with the gas.  I do know that when the gas starts to feel uncomfortable - like an elephant sitting on my chest - that if I get up and walk that does more for me than the Lortab or definitely the gas-x.

So enough babble for now. 

I hope all is well for everyone out there in our wonderful blog world.  I can't say how much it means to me to have this cheering squad.  So thank you so very much for taking the time to share your sentiments with me!  It's really been bringing a smile to my face!!!


12 comments:

  1. Oh honey - I'm so glad you're feeling so good and 12 pounds is amazing - seriously! It's taken me all this year to lose that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are on the mend!! My doc said that the gas-x won't work for the gas from surgery. I took some anyway, but I didn't notice that it helped. Only walking around seemed to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're healing nicely. Remember to take it easy and allow yourself to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you are doing great! Day 3 and 4 were the toughest for me! Hang in there sounds like you are recovering fabously!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing great!! Everyday will get easier. By the end of two weeks, you will barely have any pain at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing good! Probably better than me a couple of days ago, lol. Keep up the walking and the gas-x strips they really do help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that you made it through surgery so well. Remember not to overdo it. I know I felt like superwoman at first, but then it caught up with me. I am so very happy for you! Welcome to the sisterhood!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you have a heating pad--that really helped me---even used it when I was just sitting around watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems like just yesterday we were waiting to hear from the insurance company and now here you are banded. Hopefully you will get better and better each day and the pain and discomfort will be but a memory very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there fellow band mate! Congrats! I am glad to hear you are feeling pretty well. I was the same way, nothing major just a minor slow down. Just take it easy and you will be back to normal in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are good luck! I got my approval today! :o)

    Now the real reason for my comment, lol, I've heard from others the gas-x strips don't work well but the regular gas-x pills or chewables work much better. I bought some of the chewables to have for post op. Maybe you could try those?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations. You are doing everything you should be...and my best advise is to stay ahead of the pain!
    I used the Gas-X strips after my surgery, and I did not seem to have a problem.
    Hang in there - be food to yourself! I am cheering you on from here!

    ReplyDelete