Tuesday, March 2, 2010

03/02/10: Own your choices

Have you ever struggled with a decision?  Do I buy a new car or do I keep sinking money into my nickel and dimer, for example.  You bat it around for days or weeks sometimes and just don't see a clear answer.  They say one way to beat the decision into submission is to wear the decision.  Pretend you are a new car owner with the full insurance prices (and new car prices) and that you are having to send in the large checks every month.  But you can get to work, reliably, on time, and without towing fees and repair fees.  Does that decision feel good?  Own it.  If not, think about the current situation - you get to keep your money in the bank but you may or may not get to work, let alone on time, without asking a friend for a ride.  Does the decision to keep the car feel good?  Own it.

It's the same thing with food.  Own your choice!

If you opt one day to drink beer and eat a hoagie.  Own it.  Don't whine the next day about whether or not you suck.  Don't cry the next day about gaining a pound back.  Own that pound - and then beat it to the curb! 

I drank beer Sunday.  I enjoyed the beer Sunday.  I will drink beer again in the future.  After the beer on Sunday, I gained 3 pounds and felt rather bloated.  Gaining 3 pounds and feeling bloated is not enough to make me say "never never again".  I will say "yes, please" less in the future.  But I won't say "never".  And when I do choose to drink that beer - I will OWN that decision.  And I will OWN the consequences.  And I will be thankful that I was able to make the choice because 1) I am being proactive about my health and 2) I will be wiser about what that choice may do to me.

If the cookie sounds good - OWN it!

If the soda sounds good - OWN it! 

If the steak sounds good - OWN it!

If the candy bar or the ice cream or the potato chips or the whatever-it-is-you-struggle-with sounds good - OWN it!

YOU choose.  Not the food.  YOU know what that CHOICE does - OWN it!  And enjoy it!

First and foremost, if you make the choice, which means you accepted the potential consequences - then ENJOY what you OWN!

Just some food for thought...


Finally - and most importantly - YAY for 37 followers!  Thank you, y'all!  I appreciate the support!  If I'm not following you, too, please leave me a link so I can find your blog.

7 comments:

  1. Great post. Its about accountability! And the truth is so what if we fall off the wagon as long as we get back on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with the diet mentality and am now able to just say oh well tomorrow is another day and this band is with me for the long haul so get on with it.. Great post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've dieted my way up to this weight because I didn't own my mistakes. I would feel extremly guilty, say I have no willpower and give up. If I owned the mistakes and moved on with eating healthy I wouldn't be where I am today. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome and so true. It is absolutely different when you finally realize your decisions are your own! And so important not to beat yourself up about your choices!

    It looks like you have 80 followers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I think it's so important to not have foods that are just plain off limits and I love the way you put it.. Own it!!

    ReplyDelete