I hate this. I hate not being in control. I hate not even being able to steer anything in any sort of direction.
As of this morning, I had yet to hear back from my Dr.'s office about getting my letter of medical necessity from my PCP fixed. So I called them back today. Yeah. My Dr. wants me to come in and say exactly what I said on the phone - the letter needs to include my BMI and the statement that she "deems this medically necessary". I have an issue with going in to say that. I said that back in Oct. Stupid me, when I got the letter she did write, I thought, well, she's done this before, she knows what she's doing. So I accepted it - and so did the people at my bariatric center, until last Friday.
I have an issue with going in because my insurance changed. I pay for everything. I don't have copays anymore - I PAY FOR IT ALL - at least until my insanely high deductible and absurdly high OOP-Max are met. I don't want to pay money out to say something I've already said!
The girl I talked to a short while ago understands that and said she'd talk to my Dr. She'll call me back this afternoon with my PCP's ruling - at least that's what she said. If I have to go pay it, I have to go pay it. But I won't be happy about having to miss time from work and paying full price to do it!
I got off the phone with them and I called my insurance company back. At this point, I just want to make sure they have the paperwork. And I want to make sure it's in the right place.
The first girl I talk to is a customer service rep. Nice, friendly, helpful, sympathetic, cared about me as a person. She doesn't see anything in the system yet but says 'you really need to be talking to someone in authorizations, can I transfer you?'
Yesterday's person told me I'm not allowed to talk to people in authorizations. I knew from my advocate to be asking for that department. So this person today, the one I like, transfers me.
In authorizations, another girl answers the phone. She looks it up. She says 'your policy doesn't need an authorization for this procedure, so it would go to determinations'.
My advocate also told me to ask for determinations. So not entirely surprised there, either.
This girl in authorizations says 'you can't talk to people in determinations and we can't see their system'.
She then says - determinations has 30 days to make their decision at which point that is when my file goes to authorizations to send out the letter. Authorizations would then have 30 days to send the letter.
So I tell her my pickle. The career, the family, the progress, the time off, the fantastic window of opportunity that is shrinking every day.
And she says "we really don't care. This is at our discretion and we will do what we feel is best warranted for our company needs. And no, you won't find someone in this office that will care".
All told I was on the phone with the insurance company for about 8 minutes. And in this conversation with these two women I went from feeling hope and upbeat back to I don't know what.
The hardest part for me here is what am I struggling with? Am I struggling with not being in control? Am I struggling with my hopes were so high for a quick answer that now that it looks like it can't and won't possibly happen, I'm just mad? What's my issue? Why can't I just let it be and take it one day at a time? The insurance company has been playing jokes all along - that's what the "unweightloss" program is. So why am I surprised by this? Why is it upsetting me so much?
I'm insanely jealous of all the people that have insurance companies that get answers out within 3-4 days. Even a week or two weeks. LOL, I'm just insanely jealous of anything that has ever gotten a decision and is already banded. I want so desperately to be on the other side! I want this part of the process to be behind me!
My one saving grace is that at least I can lose weight for real right now. I don't have to keep on with watching to make sure my BMI is still above 40. I don't have to gain weight back when I spontaneously lose it. In fact, I can try to lose it. That, in and of itself, is such a wonderful change of pace!
I keep saying I just need to take a deep breath and focus on that. This is all about weightloss - I can do this now. Getting a band or not getting a band won't change that. That will change my success rate - my keep it off rate, but it won't change whether or not I can finally, actually, really, truly try. At the end of the day - right now, today, trying matters most to me.
And last thought - dangit, I forgot my sweater this morning. I am so cold! I usually keep it here but took it with me as I was leaving last night because it was the perfect weight for when we would be leaving the rodeo. And wouldn't you know it - so tired this morning, I forgot it was sitting there waiting to be grabbed. I'm SO COLD!
Thursday, March 11, 2010
03/11/10: I don't know what to do or think
Labels:
control,
insurance jokes,
stress,
try,
unweightloss,
weightloss
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

your comment about the potrack made me laugh.
ReplyDeleteYou know, I admire your determination. My sister wants the band (16 years my senior and probably at least 350)...and her insurance won't cover it...but she hasnt even tried to appeal or see what she could do. I think that fact that you are going through all of this just really illustrates how bad you want this and how much you are going through to get it!
I know how bad it is to get jerked around by your insurance. Mine denied my surgery, then approved it and after I had the surgery they are denying it again. So I understand that horrible parts of dealing with insurance. You will get there, just keep chipping away at them!
ReplyDeleteI got my band in Mexico for $6,000.00. It was a wonderful experience. I was in the hospital for two nights (I guess they usually send you home right after in the States) and they were extremely professional and caring. If you want the info, let me know. Jacquie is also going there - I don't know if she is among your followers or not, but you can find her on mine.
ReplyDeleteYeah, send me the info. If I have to become a self-pay, I'm certainly not paying the US prices. :)
ReplyDeleteI feel so bad for you. Two days before my surgery (Feb 10th) it looked like they were going to delay it because my EKG showed some problems. I was freaked out, especially since I was already drinking those protein shakes. I did have the surgery but had decided that it didn't matter if it had been delayed--I would keep losing weight or at least plateau.
ReplyDeleteI was self pay here in Canada (CDN$16,000). I also was just under the BMI where most docs would do the surgery (BMI 34). Major downer until he asked if I had health issues-oh yeah, did I ever.
Hoping you get this sorted out and you move along soon. I see a lot of people on the blogs who went to Mexico and are happy about it. One thing is to make sure you have a fill doctor where you live that will do your fills. I guess some have a hard time finding someone if you didn't have surgery by them.
I don't have anything to add other than it is hard and frustrating but worth it and I know you know that!
ReplyDeleteSo I'm just gonna give you a cyber hug. (((LDswims))) There. Did you feel it?
Oh LDswims - I'm so sorry you're going through all this. Maybe it's like when people have a hard time conceiving...when they do - the child (in this case your band) will be all that more worth it and you'll never take it for granted. I'm reaching - I just wish I could make you feel better. I knew a lot of people who went to the DR or Mexico for tummy tucks and a girl just went to the DR for a sleeve (like lap band but not) and all were very happy - no complications. I'll keep sending good vibes.
ReplyDeleteOh this part is the worst - because you do lose all control. I think all insurances say it can take up to 30 days, but the do it quicker (here's hoping at least). I would keep calling authorizations because once they here from determinations they should be able to tell you before the send a letter.
ReplyDeleteMy insurance changed this year to a high deductible thing - it sucks!
Keep thinking positive thoughts.
I don't have any advice, just wanted to offer support. I'm sorry this is so frustrating. Waiting is so hard. I don't think people really get how important this is to us. I'm sorry.
ReplyDeleteThe positive in your story was that it was so sad it was almost funny the way the insurance company kept sending you from dept. to dept. It was like a bad skit on Jay Leno or Sat. Night Live. I could picture it! No so much fun in person though. Hopefully, they will get their act together and you will get an approval soon. My heart goes out to you...Love your blog btw; very fun and colorful.
ReplyDeleteHang in there! We're sending positive vibes your way.
http://bandedandblogging.blogspot.com/
I'm sorry you are so close, but yet so far. You shouldn't even question why you are feeling this way. Of course it's natural to be extremely frusrated...and PISSED! They make you jump through hoops for 6 months then you have to jump through the last flaming, 3 tiered hoop to get authorization. What a crock.
ReplyDeleteMy coordinator was Courtney. She works in the US. Her info is: Cell 866-668-9263 Toll free Courtney@angeleshealth.com The hospital's website is: www.angeleshealth.com
ReplyDeleteI put the whole thing together in less than one month. I also didn't have any trouble finding a place to do my fills. There is a company called FillUSA that has offices all over the country. I actually found a naturapathic doc to do my fills. Good luck!